The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requires that disabled individuals be guaranteed the same level of transportation services as non-disabled persons. DART First State is pleased to provide paratransit services for disabled persons unable to use our over 60 public fixed bus routes.
Under the ADA, there are three categories under which a person can be eligible for ADA Paratransit Services:
- The person is unable, as the result of a physical or mental impairment, to independently, get on or get off a bus on the fixed route; or
- The person needs the assistance of a wheelchair lift or other boarding assistance and is able to get on, ride, and get off a bus, but such fixed route bus is not available on the route when the individual wants to travel; or
- The person has a specific impairment-related condition that prevents travel to or from a bus stop in the system.
How to Apply
- Request an application from DART First State by calling 800.553.3278 or download and print the application from this web site.
- Read the application and fill out Part A.
- If you are 65 years of age or older and do not have a disability, please complete Part A only and send us verification of your age (copy of your driver's license, birth certificate, etc.).
- If you have a disability, bring or send the application (Part A and B) to your health care professional and have them complete Part B. Both Part A and Part B must be completed for your application to be considered.
- Mail your completed application to:
DART First State - ADA Eligibility
900 Public Safety Blvd
Dover, DE 19901
or email to DOT_Eligibility_Faxes@delaware.gov
You Will Be Notified About Your Eligibility Status
- If you have not heard about your eligibility status within 21 days of submitting your application, please call 800.553.3278. TDD users please call 800.252.1600.
- If a determination has not yet been made, you will be granted temporary eligibility until a determination has been made regarding your application.
- If you are denied eligibility, you have a right to appeal the decision. Please contact DART First State for details on the appeals process.
If you live within the service area and can use fixed route transportation, you should call 800.652.DART for service information.